Sons Of Seasons Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

This is the official Forum of Sons Of Seasons

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog inSons of Seasons official website

New Webchat

Go down 
+5
Nymeria
Dragon Goddess
chrissie
Aliafne
kitikri
9 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
Waënelin
Daughter of Seasons
Waënelin

New Webchat - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: New Webchat   New Webchat - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Nov 19, 2008 5:16 pm

Admin wrote:
In the end I'd like to have a chat box like the one on the Kam forum. But Krastin said the whole forum had to be renewed so I am a bit hesitant.
hmm, yes. To set up this kind of chatbox he has to make it himself, which means having access to the code, which means... have our own forum, not a hosted one.
But they're a risk that ancient posts can not be moved in a newly created one. I think it's possible, though, i've seen it for another board. i shall ask the admin of that board how she did.

in the meanwhile, the more i think of it and the more i think we should keep the old chatbox. what's your opinion?
(srry Kitikri Embarassed )
Back to top Go down
http://www.loeil-et-la-main.com
Nymeria
Knight of Seasons
Nymeria

PostSubject: Re: New Webchat   New Webchat - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Nov 19, 2008 5:51 pm

Maybe We can keep the older one but having it directly on the forum (on top or back) instead of opening a new window ?
You have to connect to the chatbox to speak so I think you must be registered and maybe we'll have again problem with disconnection and lag but at least we can see if there is someone in the chatroom and so don't speak alone ^^"
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/nymeria06
Aliafne
Lord of Seasons
Aliafne

PostSubject: Re: New Webchat   New Webchat - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Nov 19, 2008 6:00 pm

Oh yeah thats the main thing I think to see if there is somebody in there! Thtas why I was upset also by the old one since I had to be there all the time even if I was busy or I wasnt there. I mean If I was not writing for 3-4 minutes it logged me out and than i wasnt there. had to sign in again etc
Back to top Go down
kitikri
Son of Seasons
kitikri

PostSubject: Re: New Webchat   New Webchat - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Nov 19, 2008 6:50 pm

Hey, sorry for joining in so late lol

I gotta agree that the current chatbox is very much like the forum-based one. I'll try explaining the situation now...

A realtime chatbox can be built in a couple of ways
  • using IRC as its base (fast, but that makes it complicated to use and needs java/flash).
  • using HTML as its base (easy and compatible, but that makes it very slow, compared the the other)
  • using PHP/MySQL/Ajax (a kind of trade-off between speed and ease of use, but it needs php/mysql/ajax Very Happy )

Now, we can't really use the IRC based - we had problems with java, username registrations, passwords, etc. Plus, even if I restrict the free use of usernames, anyone could join using a normal IRC client and enter any name.
The cbox and the forum's chat are HTML based, but you see that autorefresh is impossible and speed is horrible.
This leaves us with PHP as the only sensible option. There are two ways of implementing a php-based chatbox, and the one is to inject it in the code itself. Here, this method is impossible because of the free forum hosting. The second is to install in on www.sonsofseasons.com and to reference&include it here, just like the cbox. The only problem is integrating forum usernames into the chat. And the nice people from the forum hosting have made this endeavor even harder than it normally is, if you know what I mean. I'll try this method only as a last resort.
The other possibility is to make a new, our very own forum, so that I have free access to the code. The problem here is exporting the database with the topics, users, etc. The people from forumieren/forumotion do not offer database export. Figures. And that is why, right now, I'm exploring 'different' ways of exporting the info. So, as it may seem that I'm sitting idle, I'm working as hard as time allows me. And I'm sorry for not being able to respond here very often. So stay tuned, eventually I will be able to figure out something grin

Meanwhile, if any of you think that it would be best to go back to the forum's original chatbox, please make a poll and vote Smile
Back to top Go down
Nymeria
Knight of Seasons
Nymeria

PostSubject: Re: New Webchat   New Webchat - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Nov 19, 2008 9:52 pm

For Kitikri : hug
Ofc we all know how you work hard for us, and thx very much for this congrats
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/nymeria06
Waënelin
Daughter of Seasons
Waënelin

PostSubject: Re: New Webchat   New Webchat - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Nov 20, 2008 9:31 pm

kitikri wrote:

A realtime chatbox can be built in a couple of ways
  • using IRC as its base (fast, but that makes it complicated to use and needs java/flash).
  • using HTML as its base (easy and compatible, but that makes it very slow, compared the the other)
  • using PHP/MySQL/Ajax (a kind of trade-off between speed and ease of use, but it needs php/mysql/ajax Very Happy )
got it. thanks a lot for the sum-up. Very Happy

kitikri wrote:
The cbox and the forum's chat are HTML based, but you see that autorefresh is impossible and speed is horrible.
didn't seem to me that the forum's chatbox was as slow as this one... but at least we had smileys, and more people are used to it! so i'd go for the old chatbox - setting it as Nym suggested, just in the bottom of index page and not opening in a new window. that's how it's seen on most forums. What do you guys think?

free hosted forums are not the right option as soon as you wanna have complete freedom, that's for sure. but as i said the other day, i'm pretty sure there's a way to export the database if creating our own; i really have to write the admin of the forum i'm thinking about.

kitikri wrote:
So, as it may seem that I'm sitting idle, I'm working as hard as time allows me. And I'm sorry for not being able to respond here very often. So stay tuned, eventually I will be able to figure out something grin
eh, we never doubt this!! kiss
Back to top Go down
http://www.loeil-et-la-main.com
Aliafne
Lord of Seasons
Aliafne

PostSubject: Re: New Webchat   New Webchat - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Nov 21, 2008 12:05 am

Qestion: if we set the old chatbox on the bottom of the page, will it stop loggong us out? Smile
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: New Webchat   New Webchat - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

New Webchat
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Sons Of Seasons Forum :: Sons Of Seasons (English) :: News-
Jump to: