31% [ 5 ]
Total Votes : 16

AuthorMessage
jesslacrymosa
Child of Seasons
jesslacrymosa

Books' topic Empty
PostSubject: Books' topic   Books' topic Icon_minitimeThu Aug 07, 2008 10:53 am

So, there's a topic about cinema n movies, one about music...just books are missing.
So guys, did you read something interesting lately?which are you favourite books?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
french metallian
Conqueror of Seasons
french metallian

Books' topic Empty
PostSubject: Re: Books' topic   Books' topic Icon_minitimeThu Aug 07, 2008 11:13 am

Usually i read one book per week so it's more than 30 per year Smile.
My last ones for the moment:
"Isolation" from Greg Ewan (science fiction about quantum mechanics)
"Imperium" from Robert Harris (the life of Cicero)
"Personne n'y ťchappera" from Romain Sardou (a story of a writer who is a serial killer)
"The Queen of the Damned" from Ann Rice
"The Silmarillon" from Tolkien

The list could be VERY long
:P
Back to top Go down
View user profile
jesslacrymosa
Child of Seasons
jesslacrymosa

Books' topic Empty
PostSubject: Re: Books' topic   Books' topic Icon_minitimeThu Aug 07, 2008 11:28 am

oh another book lover...how nice Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
i don't know these books...have to check them out :P

i had some "easy" reading in the past days, i read The Host- Stephanie Meyer and the new book of Cecelia Ahern (dunno the title in english :P)
I'll have to read soon a book about French Revolution...we'll see. :P
Back to top Go down
View user profile
WelcomeToIdiotica
Lord of Seasons
WelcomeToIdiotica

Books' topic Empty
PostSubject: Re: Books' topic   Books' topic Icon_minitimeThu Aug 07, 2008 1:48 pm

I love to read. Suspense books are my favourite, and I'm currently reading:
Moonlight Becomes You by Mary Higgins Clark (a suspense book)
Of Mice And Men by John Steinbeck (I have to read it for English)
The Famous Five - Five Go Down To The Sea by Enid Blyton :P (I love the Famous Five lol)

My favourite writers include James Patterson, Mary Higgins Clark, Kathy Reichs and Enid Blyton... 3 out of 4 are suspense writers :P
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.myspace.com/welcometoidiotica
_RoyKhan_
Child of Seasons
_RoyKhan_

Books' topic Empty
PostSubject: Re: Books' topic   Books' topic Icon_minitimeThu Aug 07, 2008 2:34 pm

Now I'm reading "Dracula, 30 stories in a dark night" really funny^^

I love readin', it helps me to write new songs.

Three days ago I finished a book called " Depression from the other world", I don't remember the writer but it was a interesting book about living in the shadow!!!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Aliafne
Lord of Seasons
Aliafne

Books' topic Empty
PostSubject: Re: Books' topic   Books' topic Icon_minitimeThu Aug 07, 2008 5:58 pm

Oooops I lowerd the number of reading per year Crying or Very sad

Well I love to read though...and I ahve read a lots of lots of books when I had time for it...some years back... But now... It took me 3 -4 month to read the entire Golden Compass trilogy. Some years earlier I have read LOTR in a week...
My reading habbit also has changed, in the past years I only read books in English.

So now I have finished Golden Compass...and I will continue from next week with Long way down hopefully. I have read Long way arround, and I have really enjoyed it, so I am curious about the sequel.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
WaŽnelin
Daughter of Seasons
WaŽnelin

Books' topic Empty
PostSubject: Re: Books' topic   Books' topic Icon_minitimeThu Aug 07, 2008 6:10 pm

the poll is a good idea Smile

well usually i'm a great reader, but to be honest i have to confess that the "online life' has lowered the number of books i read. I'm still around 30 / year, though. Im' fond of Sci-Fi, and I also read a lot of poetry - not necessarily new books, but some poets never leave my bedside Wink

-------------
Mais la voix me console et dit : "Garde tes songes ;
Les sages n'en ont pas d'aussi beaux que les fous !"
-------------

http://www.myspace.com/waenelin
http://www.myspace.com/kamelot_france
http://www.myspace.com/andrematosfanpage
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.loeil-et-la-main.com
Aliafne
Lord of Seasons
Aliafne

Books' topic Empty
PostSubject: Re: Books' topic   Books' topic Icon_minitimeThu Aug 07, 2008 6:16 pm

WaŽnelin wrote:
the poll is a good idea Smile

well usually i'm a great reader, but to be honest i have to confess that the "online life' has lowered the number of books i read. I'm still around 30 / year, though. Im' fond of Sci-Fi, and I also read a lot of poetry - not necessarily new books, but some poets never leave my bedside Wink

May I ask which are your favourite poets? I love poetry too Smile
Back to top Go down
View user profile
WaŽnelin
Daughter of Seasons
WaŽnelin

Books' topic Empty
PostSubject: Re: Books' topic   Books' topic Icon_minitimeThu Aug 07, 2008 6:38 pm

my favs ever are Paul Valery and Baudelaire, but also Aragon (loove him), Rimbaud, Verlaine, Mallarmť, Hugo... i love Keats, Shelley, Whitman, Emily Dickinson... the amazing Shakespeare, how could I forget him... so many, actually! R.M.Rilke, too........ Wink

edit: and Viggo Mortensen Very Happy

-------------
Mais la voix me console et dit : "Garde tes songes ;
Les sages n'en ont pas d'aussi beaux que les fous !"
-------------

http://www.myspace.com/waenelin
http://www.myspace.com/kamelot_france
http://www.myspace.com/andrematosfanpage
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.loeil-et-la-main.com
WelcomeToIdiotica
Lord of Seasons
WelcomeToIdiotica

Books' topic Empty
PostSubject: Re: Books' topic   Books' topic Icon_minitimeThu Aug 07, 2008 6:49 pm

Aliafne wrote:
It took me 3 -4 month to read the entire Golden Compass trilogy.

I love His Dark Materials! I've read the trilogy twice or three times now since I got the books a few years ago. I watched the movie and it sucked, they messed it all up Evil or Very Mad
Back to top Go down
mei`
Child of Seasons
mei`

Books' topic Empty
PostSubject: Re: Books' topic   Books' topic Icon_minitimeThu Aug 07, 2008 8:05 pm

I'm very into books and I'm a fast reader but it really depends how many books I read per year. I guess it's still more that 30, 'cause sometimes I read several books in a week... My favourite genre is definitely fantasy, I love dragons and magic and all that kind of stuff. :--) My favourite writers are Robin Hobb and Margaret Weis + Tracy Hickman. Robin Hobb's Farseer Trilogy and The Tawny Man trilogy are the best books I've ever read, and I love Weis + Hickman's books which belong to Dragonlance -series!

I'm not that much into horror novels (well it's not that I wouldn't like them, I just don't often read that kind of books), but Stephen King's creations are fantastic. But still the best books from him are the books of Dark Tower -series, and they're more like westerns and have fantasy fiction and sciense fantasy elements. Smile I have read 6 and Ĺ books, so it's only that half book to go! :----D
Back to top Go down
View user profile
chrissie
Knight of Seasons
chrissie

Books' topic Empty
PostSubject: Re: Books' topic   Books' topic Icon_minitimeThu Aug 07, 2008 8:41 pm

I'm a bookworm. My favorite genres are fantasy and scifi. I love Terry Pratchett, David Eddings, Wolfgang Hohlbein, Terry Brooks, Tad Williams, Anne McCaffrey and many others.
Sometimes I read books from Michio Kaku or Stephen W. Hawking.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://myspace.com/chrissie_k
Aliafne
Lord of Seasons
Aliafne

Books' topic Empty
PostSubject: Re: Books' topic   Books' topic Icon_minitimeThu Aug 07, 2008 9:44 pm

WaŽnelin wrote:
my favs ever are Paul Valery and Baudelaire, but also Aragon (loove him), Rimbaud, Verlaine, Mallarmť, Hugo... i love Keats, Shelley, Whitman, Emily Dickinson... the amazing Shakespeare, how could I forget him... so many, actually! R.M.Rilke, too........ Wink

edit: and Viggo Mortensen Very Happy

Shocked Awww...what a good taste!!! cheers Baudelaire, Rimbaud, Verlaine, Mallarmť...Keats, Shelley...Rilke were part of my favourites too (+ some hungarians). Exclamation And...and Byron love2 and....and...Shakespeare!!!!!! Forever!!! love2 My all time favourite drama will always be Hamlet. My mom bought me even a t-shirt with "Hamlet is not dead" written on it.

@ Ben: I did forget to respond for this one " The Queen of the Damned from Ann Rice " - I really loved the Vampire Tales. We also started to amke a new movie version with my friends for Queen of the damned...but we didnt finish XD Probably because we didnt have enough "actors" and money and...I started to learn at school...so time was missing too.

@Welcome To Idiotica: Of Mice And Men by John Steinbeck (I have to read it for English) - I only saw the movie. But it was an really amazing film. Shocked
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Nymeria
Knight of Seasons
Nymeria

Books' topic Empty
PostSubject: Re: Books' topic   Books' topic Icon_minitimeFri Aug 08, 2008 4:44 pm

mei` wrote:
I'm very into books and I'm a fast reader but it really depends how many books I read per year. I guess it's still more that 30, 'cause sometimes I read several books in a week... My favourite genre is definitely fantasy, I love dragons and magic and all that kind of stuff. :--) My favourite writers are Robin Hobb and Margaret Weis + Tracy Hickman. Robin Hobb's Farseer Trilogy and The Tawny Man trilogy are the best books I've ever read, and I love Weis + Hickman's books which belong to Dragonlance -series!

I'm not that much into horror novels (well it's not that I wouldn't like them, I just don't often read that kind of books), but Stephen King's creations are fantastic. But still the best books from him are the books of Dark Tower -series, and they're more like westerns and have fantasy fiction and sciense fantasy elements. Smile I have read 6 and Ĺ books, so it's only that half book to go! :----D

cheers My favorite book is the Dark Tower !! I simply love it Smile Go on it's fantastic Very Happy

And I am a Robin Hobb fan Smile Farseer Trilogy and Twany man made me love Fantasy !! (The liveship Traders too)
We have a website and Forum in french dedicated to her books, and Robin comes sometimes to speak with us ! She's very simple and nice. I saw her twice in Paris and when she comes, she always take time with her fans, for a drink or dinner ! Shocked

I like Eddings, Anne Rice, George Martin, Glenn Cook... so as you can see, I love fantasy :p But know I don't read to much (no time...) No
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.myspace.com/nymeria06
french metallian
Conqueror of Seasons
french metallian

Books' topic Empty
PostSubject: Re: Books' topic   Books' topic Icon_minitimeFri Aug 08, 2008 11:46 pm

@Aliafne: Yeah cheers you can make a new version because the previous one was not really good :p ! Lestat de Lioncourt is french, Louis du Lac is from the Nouvelle Orleans, Armand from Venice and Marius from Rome and Akasha of course from Egypt. So you need an INTERNATIONAL casting !!! Anyway I advice you also to read the illustrations book called Favole by Victoria FrancŤs (Ezechiel rules) :P
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Erik Schepers
Conqueror of Seasons
Erik Schepers

Books' topic Empty
PostSubject: Re: Books' topic   Books' topic Icon_minitimeSat Aug 09, 2008 12:32 am

I must admit to spending very little time reading books these days. The fact that most of my books are still packed in boxes (having moved earlier this year) doesn't help much. Which is no excuse for not going to the bookstore and try and find some more Terry Pratchett books (in English, some of it just doesn't work when translated) I don't own yet. I've started with Jingo, and have since read Soul Music (music with rocks in), Interesting Times and several others, and all of them* were very enjoyable.

* Apart from Small Gods - it was a misprint, meaning 100 pages were missing, and replaced by 100 pages that were already there. In other words, there was a big gap in the story pretty much ruining it.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.erikschepers.nl
jesslacrymosa
Child of Seasons
jesslacrymosa

Books' topic Empty
PostSubject: Re: Books' topic   Books' topic Icon_minitimeSat Aug 09, 2008 3:36 pm

forgot that I LOVE Harry Potter saga...grow up with it...really nice books Smile
and than Twilight saga by Stephanie Meyer, if anybody knows these books...good ones, I like the first one most Smile
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Dragon Goddess
Conqueror of Seasons
Dragon Goddess

Books' topic Empty
PostSubject: Re: Books' topic   Books' topic Icon_minitimeSat Aug 09, 2008 10:57 pm

I love to read, but lately I haven't with all kinds of stuff happening. Hoping to change that soon.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://ladylunayen.deviantart.com/
Comatose Muffin
Child of Seasons
Comatose Muffin

Books' topic Empty
PostSubject: Re: Books' topic   Books' topic Icon_minitimeMon Aug 11, 2008 7:13 am

Peter S. Beagle's The Last Unicorn, and Patrick Rothfuss's The Name of the Wind are my undisputed favourites.

Currently:
Re-reading The Last Unicorn, and reading The Lord of the Rings trilogy, China Mieville's Iron Council, and Goethe's Faust.

I read every night(Uh. Unless I'm sketching), so I tend to read countless numbers of books a year. I have no idea the exact number.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://essence-of-equus.deviantart.com
jesslacrymosa
Child of Seasons
jesslacrymosa

Books' topic Empty
PostSubject: Re: Books' topic   Books' topic Icon_minitimeWed Aug 27, 2008 4:47 pm

Now I'm reading the chronicles of Narnia...expected something better probably...then...we'll see :P
Back to top Go down
View user profile
WelcomeToIdiotica
Lord of Seasons
WelcomeToIdiotica

Books' topic Empty
PostSubject: Re: Books' topic   Books' topic Icon_minitimeWed Aug 27, 2008 6:22 pm

I'm reading a few books at once right now :P Bones to Ashes by Kathy Reichs, Stillwatch by Mary Higgins Clark...

The other day I went up to a monastery and bought a book called The Devil And Magic, by a monk. It's quite interesting although a little repetitive.
Back to top Go down
kitikri
Son of Seasons
kitikri

Books' topic Empty
PostSubject: Re: Books' topic   Books' topic Icon_minitimeFri Aug 29, 2008 1:02 pm

I just finished reading a compilation of novels by Hemingway. Now I'm wondering what else to start reading Smile

Last edited by kitikri on Tue Sep 09, 2008 2:40 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Nymeria
Knight of Seasons
Nymeria

Books' topic Empty
PostSubject: Re: Books' topic   Books' topic Icon_minitimeFri Aug 29, 2008 11:55 pm

kitikri wrote:
Now I'm wandering what else to start reading Smile

I have the same problem and so I read nothing... I'm looking for a good fantasy book Very Happy
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.myspace.com/nymeria06
Aliafne
Lord of Seasons
Aliafne

Books' topic Empty
PostSubject: Re: Books' topic   Books' topic Icon_minitimeSat Sep 06, 2008 2:58 pm

New book purchase for me: Carlos Ruiz Zafon - The Shadow of the Wind.

It is extreamly good. I could reccomend it to everyone Cool

Edit:
1000 posts on the forum!!!!! YES!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Admin
Admin
Admin

Books' topic Empty
PostSubject: Re: Books' topic   Books' topic Icon_minitimeThu Sep 18, 2008 2:35 am

I find it really difficult to find books from the fantasy or horror genre which are good in style and story. Anne Rice is great, but - forgive me, ladies - she has such a distinct female touch that I sometimes are not patient enough to continue. With that I mean that she's all about the characters, dialogues and the relations between them that she sometimes forgets to deliver a good, flowing story. Correct me, if I am wrong.

Stephen King was good but he lost a bit his teeth. The one about mobile phones and zombies was awful ("Cell")! Funny thing is, he is mostly good until the end where he reveals the monster, the big encounter. Then it often becomes weak ("It", "The Stand" or "Needful Things"). His best novels are without the supernatural.

I often read Lovecraft before falling asleep. Helps dreaming weird!

Aliafne, which Hungarians do you read?
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://sonsofseasons.forumieren.de
Sponsored content

Books' topic Empty
PostSubject: Re: Books' topic   Books' topic Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Books' topic
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next